Inca Trail Short 2 Days
The Short Inca Trail is a fantastic option for those who don't have the time or desire to hike the full length of the Inca Trail. With beautiful scenery, a wide variety of flora and fauna on display and a visit to the Inca Trail's most beautiful site (Wiñay Wayna), you get to enjoy the all the best bits of the Inca Trail condensed in to a one day walk. Covering a distance of just 10km / 6.3 miles the 2 day Inca Trail is not too challenging which makes it perfect for families with children and those on a tight schedule.
Day 1: Cusco - Km104 - Aguas Calientes
Our trek today takes us along the most impressive stretch of the Inca Trail. We'll visit beautiful Inca sites , see a variety of flora and fauna and get to take in the fantastic panoramas of the Andes mountains. Covering 10km of the trail our journey begins in the Sacred Valley and works it's way up along an original Inca Trail to the Inca site of Winay Wayna before continuing on to Machu Picchu via the Sun Gate (Inti Punku).
As we make our way to Machu Picchu we'll pass through the lush and verdant cloud forest that covers the mountain and get to see a variety of plants, flowers and birds along the way. We may also see some larger mammals such as Viscachas (rabbit-like Chinchillas) and Spectacled Bears (if we are very lucky).
After a full days trekking we'll arrive to the Sun Gate (Inti Punku) in the late afternoon and get our first views of Machu Picchu spread out on the mountain below. The light at this time of day is great for photos and with fewer tourists in the site it's a perfect time to take some pictures of the site. After we've passed through the Sun Gate we'll carry on along the trail a little way before taking a side trail that leads us to Aguas Calientes in the valley below where we'll check in to our hotel.
Day 2: Machu Picchu!
Waking up early we'll take the first bus back up to Machu Picchu to enter the site as it opens. We'll have a 2 hour guided tour of the site during which you'll learn about the Incas and visit all the most important areas of the citadel. After your tour you'll have free time to explore the site by yourself and if you have permits to climb either Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu mountain. In the afternoon you will take the train back to Ollantaytambo from where you will carry on by bus back to Cusco.
- Professional English Speaking Tour Guide
- Assistant Tour Guide for groups of 9+
- Pick-up from Plaza Regocijo
- Train to Km104
- Return transportation by train and bus to Cusco
- 1 Breakfast, 1 Boxed Lunch, 1 Dinner. If you have a dietary request such as vegetarian food please let us know.
- Oxygen bottle
- First aid kit
- Entrance to the Inca Trail and Machu Picchu
- 2 Bus journeys between Machu Picchu and Aguas Calientes
Does Not Include
- Breakfast on Day 1 and lunch and dinner on Day 2
- Entrance to Huayna Picchu Mountain
- Travel Insurance - you are strongly recommended to take out travel insurance for the duration of your trip.
What you need to take
- Original Passport
- ISIC card (if you are a student and want to qualify for the discount)
- Walking boots
- Waterproof jacket / rain poncho
- Comfortable Trousers
- Sun hat
- Sun cream (factor 35 or higher)
- Insect repellant
- Toiletries and hand sanitiser
- Personal medication
- Camera and film
- Torch with spare batteries